BY OUR REPORTERS—-The Defence Headquarters on Tuesday denied the claims by Amnesty International (AI) that the Nigerian military failed to prevent the abduction of 110 schoolgirls in Yobe State despite being warned.
The Nigerian Army, in a statement signed by the Acting Director Defence Information, Brigadier General John Agim, said that the “this claim by Amnesty International is outright falsehood and misleading.”
“It is pertinent to state that most of their narratives are outright falsehood and a calculated attempt to whip up sentiments and mislead unsuspecting Nigerians. To demoralise friendly nations and people collaborating with security forces to end the forces of evil in the North-East,” they said.
The Nigerian Army denied the claim and said that they were not informed by Amnesty International.
“For the avoidance of doubts, no security force was informed of Dapchi schoolgirls abduction as alleged by Amnesty International.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria is a professional military and has attained the highest form of professionalism in line with International best practices. And so, could not have ignored the warning of Boko Haram attack only to work tirelessly to get the girls back,” the statement read in part.
Nigerian Army further frowned at Amnesty International stating that it is not proper for the organisation to denigrate the reputation of Nigeria’s security forces.
It added that “The question Amnesty International has not answered satisfactorily is; which of the security forces and what unit was informed that a convoy of Boko Haram fighters heading towards Dapchi where they abducted Dapchi school girls?
“What was the telephone numbers used to inform the Military or the Police? Why has Amnesty International refused to communicate its findings with the Federal Government’s Committee set up to investigate what happened before, during and after Dapchi girls abduction? Is Amnesty International trying to undermine the outcome of this committee?,” the Nigeria military questioned.
The Armed Forces however, reaffirmed that it is poised to bring the activities of Boko Haram terrorist to a complete end and “no amount of discouraging fabrications aimed at deterring the military from achieving its constitutionally assigned responsibilities.”
It would be recalled that Amnesty International had earlier alleged that the Nigerian Military and security forces were informed that a convoy of Boko Haram fighters were heading towards Dapchi in Yobe State to abduct some schoolgirls and failed to act on the information.