AIB releases preliminary reports on Dana, Delta incidents

The Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) yesterday released preliminary report on the accident involving Delta Airbus A330-223 aircraft which occurred on February13 at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

The bureau also released its preliminary reports on the Dana Air MD-83 aircraft which overran the runway at the Port Harcourt International Airport on February 20.

AIB further released a preliminary report on the accident involving Gulfstream G200 aircraft belonging to Nest Oil with registration number 5N-BTF, which occurred at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on January 25.

According to AIB, the reports contain factual information on the three occurrences and not their probable causes as investigations are still ongoing.

“They include information gathered from witness statements and a preliminary inspection of the aircraft and the accident site.

“The three reports have been uploaded to the Bureau’s website (www.aib.gov.ng),” the Commissioner of AIB, Mr Akin Olateru, said.

Olateru noted that the bureau would continue to release reports promptly to enhance safety in the industry.

His words: “We are seriously committed to releasing investigation reports on time.

“This is one way to ensure that such occurrences are prevented from repeating themselves and conform with the purpose of accident investigation,” he added.

On the Delta incident, he said that the flight DAL55, which departed Lagos, Nigeria, for Atlanta, United States of America with 221 passengers and 13 crew members on board, made an air return few minutes after take-off, following a fire warning on one of the engines.

He said initial findings by AIB indicated that the flight crew were certified and qualified to conduct the flight in accordance with applicable Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) regulations.

“Number One engine fire warning came on about a minute after take-off, while the crew at 22.25 hours contacted Air Traffic Control and declared emergency.

“The aircraft landed at about 22. 59 hours and stopped on runway 18R, where the Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting Service first reported observing smoke and fire on the Number One engine.

“There was evidence of fire within the engine cowling, even as the two fire extinguishers on the engine were discharged and a commotion was reported onboard the aircraft before the evacuation,” the commissioner said.

Further investigative actions may include engine examination, material testing for the fuel manifolds, engine oil and hydraulic lines, inspection of fuel manifolds for crack and inspection of fuel nozzle braze joints for leaks.

On the Dana Air incident, he said that the aircraft was cleared to land by the ATC and the crew reported that the runway had experienced recent rain before arrival.

“Other findings include the fact that after the aircraft came to a complete stop, emergency evacuation was carried out

“It involves using only the left forward main door and the escape slide on this door did not deploy just as the Public Address System did not work.

“The Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting Service arrived during the evacuation and all persons onboard were evacuated unhurt,” he added.

While on the Nestor Oil aircraft incident, he said the initial findings revealed that the aircraft lost directional control during the landing roll, veered off and came to rest on the right shoulder of the runway.

“The aircraft right main landing gear strut sheared off.

“The four passengers and three crew members onboard disembarked unhurt”.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *