News

BBOG Marks 5th Anniversary Of Chibok Abduction, Demands Release Of Remaining Girls

As Buhari Says 'We Will Never Give Up On Our Missing Daughters'

 

Members of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) group are marking the 5th anniversary of the abduction of over 100 girls by the Boko Haram terrorist group in the Chibok community, Borno State.

The group is demanding the release of the remaining girls still held in the captivity of the terrorist group and also asking the Federal Government to make schools in the northeast safe.

In a sit-out in Lagos to honour the Chibok schoolgirls, the faces and names have been posted at the Falomo roundabout in the Ikoyi area of the state as well as other parts of Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari in a statement on Saturday renewed his vow to ensure the release of the remaining Chibok girls and  Leah Sharibu in Boko Haram’s enclave.

READ ALSO: Buhari Renews Vow To Secure Release Of Leah Sharibu, Chibok Girls

He disclosed this in commemoration of the fifth anniversary of the abduction of the Chibok girls.

He said he is aware that the promise to rescue the girls is the main reason the people of Chibok voted overwhelmingly for him in the February election.

The President had promised the parents of the kidnapped girls when he met them at the beginning of his first term as President, that he would ensure their daughters returned home.

He said his government had so far succeeded in securing the release of 107 of the girls, he will not rest until the remaining girls are reunited with their families.

However, 112 girls are still in captivity.

On April 14, 2014, over 200 students were abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School.

The abduction of the schoolgirls triggered global condemnation including former President of the United State, Barrack Obama and his wife Michelle.

Meanwhile; President Muhammadu Buhari has given assurance that his administration will not give up on the remaining girls still in the captivity of Boko Haram terrorist group.

He said this in a series of tweets on Sunday on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of the abduction of the schoolgirls by the insurgents in Chibok community in Borno State in April 2014.

The President noted that while 107 of them have returned, he insisted that the Federal Government would not relent in its efforts in securing the release of the remaining girls and Leah Sharibu, as well as other Nigerians in captivity.

He stressed that he had promised to ensure that all the remaining girls were back and reunited with their families, adding that he was committed to fulfilling his pledge.

President Buhari said thousands of captives had been rescued by the nation’s security forces in the last four years and they would not relent until everyone held captive was freed.

He further congratulated the young women rescued from the terrorists on the successes they have recorded in their various endeavours.

He also praised them for their courage and determination to defy the evil ideology of the insurgents by continuing to pursue their education.

 

Source Channels Television

 

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close