Home News Just In: UK Denies FG’s Request To Transfer Ekweremadu To Nigeria
News

Just In: UK Denies FG’s Request To Transfer Ekweremadu To Nigeria

Share
Share

The  United Kingdom has turned down the Federal Government’s request to allow former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, to complete his prison sentence in Nigeria.

According to a report, British authorities insisted that the jailed lawmaker must serve out his term in the UK, where he is currently imprisoned after his 2023 conviction for attempting to harvest the kidney of a young man.

Ekweremadu was handed nine years and eight months in a case that shook Nigeria’s political space and drew global outrage over organ trafficking.
Recently, a delegation led by Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Yusuf Tuggar, recently met with officials of the UK Ministry of Justice to push for the former senator’s transfer home. The request was flatly rejected.

A UK Ministry of Justice source was quoted to have said the British government could not obtain any guarantee that Ekweremadu would continue his sentence if returned to Nigeria.

“The UK will not tolerate modern slavery, and any offender will face the full force of UK law,” the source said.

With the latest decision, Ekweremadu will remain in a UK correctional facility for the rest of his jail term.

Meanwhile, his wife, Beatrice Ekweremadu, who received a four-and-a-half-year sentence, has since regained freedom after serving half of her term. She returned to Nigeria earlier this year.

Share
Related Articles

Kano Court Jails Kannywood Actress Six Months

Justice S.M Shuaibu of the Federal High Court sitting in Kano on...

Nigeria Secures Permanent Seat on African Central Bank Board

During the just-concluded 39th Session of the Executive Council of the African...

Minister Calls for Funding Boost to Complete Key Roads Across Nigeria

Minister of Works, Sen. David Umahi, has appealed to the National Assembly...

Flooding on Coastal Highway Not Construction Failure, Says FG

The Federal Government on Thursday dismissed claims that the recent flooding on...